- Best Buys in outdoor lighting were selected based on design, durability, ease of installation and warranty.
- Fixtures that are designed primarily for security were not evaluated, because Consumers Digest covers products as part of a feature on home-security products.
- Entry lighting refers to wall- and ceiling mounted fixtures. Utility lighting fixtures includes outdoor wall lights, outdoor flood lights, outdoor step lights and outdoor deck lights for residential use.
- All Best Buys in entry and post-mounted lighting have a 1-year warranty. All Best Buys in entry and post-mounted lighting can be upgraded to use GU24 bases, which are designed to use new light-emitting-diode (LED) and compact fluorescent (CFL) bulbs. The extra price that you’ll pay for such an upgrade will vary depending on the manufacturer.
- MSRP and features for entry and post-mounted Best Buys selections represent the best value for a wall-mounted entry light in that series. MSRP and features for utility lights represent the model that has the best value in a series.
- Best Price is a reflection of the lowest retail price that was available at press time and is subject to change.
ENTRY & POST MOUNTED LIGHTING
Hinkley Lighting Harbor Transitional Outdoor Wall Sconce – Large – HK-2575-AR (MSRP $450; Best Price: $318)
No outdoor lighting series that uses solid-brass construction has more fixture choices than the Harbor Series does. It’s the least expensive line that is in this category that allows you to but a path light model for landscaping that’s made with the same style as the flush mount ceiling light, pendant light and wall mounted fixtures. As a result, you can have the same lighting style for all of your outdoor lights. Dark-sky compliant fixtures in this series cost an average of $50 extra. The Saturn Collection ($420), which comes in stainless steel, is also a Best Buy.
Dimensions: 16.25″ (H) x 11″ (W) x 11.75″ (D)
Bulb: (1) 100W incandescent lamp
Available finishes: Bronze, Titanium
Sea Gull Lighting Hermitage Transitional Outdoor Wall Sconce – SG-88083 (MSRP: $299; Best Price: $272)
The Hermitage Collection is one of the least expensive lines that we found that has solid brass as its standard fixture material. (The durability of Brass is desirable for outdoor lighting fixtures). The series is available in pendant light, post lantern light and wall-mounted styles. It’s also the least expensive solid-brass fixture that we could find that can be upgraded to a GU24 base.
Dimensions: 19.75″ (H) x 11″ (W) x 123.75″ (D)
Bulbs: (3) 40W candelabra base
Available finishes: Antique Bronze, Brushed Nickel
Maxim Lighting Knob Hill DC Traditional Outdoor Wall Sconce – MX-3465-CD-SE (MSRP: $129; Best Price: $122)
The Knob Hill series is the least expensive line that we found that offers two fixture-material options: cast aluminum, which is the standard material; and Vivex, which is a noncorrosive composite material that is better suited for those who live near saltwater. You can expect to pay about $60 extra for the Vivex fixture, which comes with a 3-year warranty. Five other series that have a different appearance, Carriage House ($131), Dover ($116), Morrow Bay ($131), Santa Barbara ($112) and Whittier ($188), are also Best Buys.
Dimensions: 24.5″ (H), 10″ (W) x 14 x 5″ (D)
Bulbs: (3) 60W candelabra base
Available finish: Sienna (brown)